Players come to the defence of a resistance missile silo that has come under combine attack mere minutes before launch.
This map initially started life as part of my planned "five minute fights" series of maps. The idea behind these was to create maps with a 5 minute time limit and some simple task to achieve within that time. The combination of significant difficulty and some random/"procedural" elements should have kept them interesting to players for much more than 5 minutes, while development time should be fairly short. Still have sketches and design concepts for several of these. However, it became clear with just personal testing, that the scale of syn_rocket, while very deliberately limited was still much greater than could be achieved in 5 minutes. Instead, it grew to take longer, be harder and have a lot more detail added than initally expected, although the basic layout and challenges have remained close to the initial drawings.
The initial plan was to get this map complete and privately tested, then release as part of an offical Synergy update. As none of those look likley to ever happen again, and I've never quite got the map finish, I think it's perhaps best that somebody gets to play it, given the time I've spent on it so far. The plan is still to finish and polish, but the map was mostly complete 6 months ago, progress has been minimal since.
- Obstacles that need cooperation to pass
- Lots of surprise events
- Enemy numbers that scale with player count
- Lots of explosions
- Varied objectives
- A massive rocket launch
- Overwatch, zombies, headcrabs, hunters.
- Custom textures
- Two different paths through the map, with a crossover point
Features not yet implemented
- (Minimally) voiced acted introduction
- Bigger fight over the launch doors (enemies come in as you begin opening them, having some trouble with how best to implement them destroying the windows to attack you)
- Credits sequence
- More ambient sounds, + maybe soundscapes
- More details, especially decals
- More robust combat and cover (dependent on feedback)
- Save points (some issue with the split pathing)
- Possible Randomly allocate players one path or another - thoughts?
HL2 EP1 EP2
(sorry all you HL2 only people, but when Ep2 has a whole "silo" pack of props and textures, it was needed really)
Designed for 2 - 6
However most actual testing has been with 1-3, so unsure of how good the balance is.
From Linxsoft Synergy
Screenshots and videos to come.
Feedback is very much appreciated, both in terms of bugs and oddities, as well as feedback on the gameplay and design (although only tweaks are likely with this map now, major suggestions will be noted). Try and be as specific as possible however - "shit sux" or "map rox" aren't as useful as "map sucks because..." or "... made the map really awesome".